Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Candid vs. Posed: The Real Definitions


January 2009 was warm and tropical in the northwest compared to the previous month, and despite my inability to keep warm, I often find myself braving all sort of weather for my clients. This wedding is no exception. The Bride was literally glowing, she was so excited! It was this very heat she was generating that kept her comfortable in the 35 degree weather and wind. Now, I must say that I do a good share of winter weddings, this isn't uncommon. Getting a nice day in January is really where the miracle lies. See for yourself. The photo on the right is taken at Hidden Meadows in Snohomish WA. It has a beautiful view of the valley and nicely manicured grounds. Only a few weeks prior this venue and most of the surrounding area was nearly flooded by the massive rain fall and December snows melting. By Jan. 21, only a few "lakes" remained and all of the sidewalks were dry. Hidden Meadows is one of many lovely country locations. It's a great utilization of what once was mainly farm land. Bonus points to the owners for their decorating and creative architecture.

But as usual, I digress. This blog is about the illusive definitions of candid and posed. Time and time again I find myself meeting with brides, families, high school seniors, etc. who all say the same thing, "I want more candid shots, I hate posed photos. " I of course promptly agree, because I know what they are trying to say is really, "I hate the photos my mom has taken of me and my sisters year after year in front of the Christmas tree. We are all in our pajamas with messy hair and the camera flash always gives me red eye. I don't want to look bad on my wedding day." Anyone can agree with that statement, no one wants that to happen, especially me. My livelihood depends on how each of my clients perceive themselves and how that translates when they are in front of my camera. Do I take posed photos? The short answer is yes. But when it's done right, my posed images look nothing of the sort.

Flip though any magazine and you will find great images that have none of the same qualities as the Christmas photo I just described. Everyone of them is "posed" in the sense that careful attention has be paid to the lighting, background, and positioning of the subject. Each image is created in a photo shoot that includes dozens of people all making suggestions for the model. This is very similar to what I do with each bride and groom. We carefully assess lighting, scenery and positioning. Then undoubtedly your parents, bridesmaids, wedding planner, makeup artist, and cake decorator will be there to critic your preformance. The difference is the model knows how to move and avoid looking static and emotionless (at least the good models know how to do this). Since your wedding has all the same elements of a big production photo shoot but without the years of modeling experience, the bride and groom come to rely heavily on me to direct and guide them. This is what I feel brides are trying to express when they talk about posed vs. candid images. They want to look at the photo and feel a particular emotion and read (through body language) a specific story. My clients hire me because they know that I can make it look effortless. There is no fear of looking stiff or lifeless and because they trust me, they feel free to act naturally. Here is an example.

This is classic framing for a portrait. It's 1/2 of the body, fills the frame, and has a simplified background. My photography 101 teacher would be proud, I followed all the rules to the letter. Well maybe not all of them. I did use a slight tilt for emphasis, so the horizon is crooked but that's a rule that was designed to be broken. What makes this photo great (besides the awesome lighting that perfectly highlights and separates them from the background OR the nice use of perspective and depth of field thanks to the slight compression provided by my 80mm lens) is the tenderness of the bride's kiss. The groom's face is unnecessary because the story being told here is about her love for him, her gentle nature, her dedication to him. Images like this come to symbolize a lifetime of tenderness at it's inception. Yes, this photo is posed. I told the couple exactly this, "Bride, stand on the right and wrap your arm around Groom, then give him a kiss on his cheek." (I obviously have left out their names on purpose- please don't email me suggesting I be more personal and use proper nouns.) This act of a simple kiss took only a second or two, but I knew it would illustrate an emotion far more reaching then they were presently aware of. This is how I tackle every shoot.

Now on to the candid moments. These first two photos have absolutely no interference on my part. The action was happening and I caught it as it progressed. Here's a few photos you might like.

The flower girl in the photo on the left did a great job. She was cute, accurate in her petal toss, and at no time did she wet herself, say something embarrassing, or begin to cry. Compared to the competition, she's a total shoe-in for flower girl of the year! This image came from a moment during the ceremony. As the bride and groom exchanged rings I noticed her watching me intently. I made eye contact with her to see what she would do; no faked smile or practiced gesture, I found her charming. Plus the light was so soft and gentle I couldn't resist. This is the meaning of candid, caught in the moment. Her thoughtful expression is intriguing and I like the fact that she looks so small compared to the bridesmaids behind her. Best of all I like that anyone can see their is a story behind her eyes.

This next image comes from the couple's first dance. I had positioned myself against the wall on a chair so I could get a better angle on the action. After a few turns the bride and groom laughed hysterically at themselves and I caught this photo. Now even if I wanted to (and the thought has crossed my mind) it's not my place to direct the bride and groom in the mist of their first dance as man and wife. I can just hope for an opportunity like this to arise and they often do.

And finally we have the garter toss. (Shown Below) The expression on the brides face is priceless!It reminds me a little of Amy Adams in "Enchanted".

I do have to admit that this photo while candid in expression, is posed. I told the DJ, Wedding Planner, and Bride where to put the chair, I did my best to direct the crowd of guys behind the groom (they didn't listen- as usual) and then I let it happen. Now I'm not sure which category it should fall into when all of that information is revealed, but it speaks to my overall point, which is; great moments will happen and as a photographer when you can catch those, it's golden. For the other 80% of my time behind the camera it's my job to make perfection a reality. I, in essence, have become the narrator for hundreds of happy couples and as with any story worth telling, the lines between fiction and reality are blurred by emotion, perception and time. I believe when the images I create speak to the love between two people and their commitment to one another then my work is truly fulfilling. In the end I want everyone that sees my photographs to look past categories and definitions to the truth that lies under it all; two people fell in love and because of that, the world is a better place.






Special thanks to Kathi's Frelance Floral, Pink Blossom Events, and Hidden Meadows. All of which are wonderful vendors to work with. Here is just one of the many images of Kathi's fine work.














No comments:

Post a Comment